By Kirk Anderson, Director of Student Ministries
It finally transpired…a mission, service, worship, fun weekend for our INSPIRE Middle high youth. From early Saturday morning, October 3 through Sunday, October 4, we spent the weekend in Chase, Kansas. Chase is a great small community just northwest of Hutchinson. Why Chase? It’s simple really. We have a connection with one of our members, Scott Randle, who preaches there on a monthly basis. Scott was instrumental in working with the Chase Community Presbyterian church to host our group for the weekend.
Nine middle school, high school and college youth and adult sponsors, along with their local youth and leaders, spent the weekend serving in the community. They cleaned yards and garages, picked up trash on the school grounds and in the city park, helped organize rooms at the local Baptist church, polished and cleaned the woodwork in the Community Presbyterian sanctuary and organized and moved a kindergarten class room.
Much was done in service for this community. What they gave us was even more incredible:
- They showed great love for us and their community.
- They hosted and spent time with us by allowing us to worship in their church on Saturday evening and sharing Sunday worship with them.
- We spent the night in their church.
- They showed us what a community of different denominations can do when they all work together.
- They even provided one of the best lunch spreads I have seen in some time – all in a showing of caring for others and working together as brothers and sisters in Christ.
One of my favorite parts of this ministry is working side by side with other people and organizations. It reminds us that we are all one under God created to serve and praise Him. We get the chance on November 11 to show Chase and Caldwell our love and hospitality as we host both communities for worship and lunch.
I hope you join all of us and welcome them in the same love of community and Christ that they showed us.