Our theme for Lent this year is In Life and In Death. Lent is a time to acknowledge and name our reliance on God. The Heidelberg Catechism begins with this question and answer:
Q. What is your only comfort, in life and in death?
A. That I belong–body and soul, in life and in death–not to myself but to my faithful Savior, Jesus Christ…
As we explore scripture and prepare to walk with Jesus to the cross we know that we do so belonging to God.
There are a number of Lenten opportunities available to you this year.
- Our children’s ministry is putting together Lenten Paper Chains. Each paper chain contains a Lenten challenge for you. Every day you add a new link to the chain and take on a new challenge.
- Our Christian Discipleship Team has two Sunday School classes planned for adults during Lent: Spiritual Gifts and Voices from South Africa.
- Each Wednesday Night at 6:30 pm during Lent you’re invited to Communion in the City – an opportunity to worship together in different places in Wichita.
- Read the Lenten devotional Grace mails to you. Reflect on Frederick Buechner’s words as we move toward the cross together.
- Participate in a social media fast. You’re encouraged to fast one day a week from Social media. Don’t check facebook, twitter, snapchat etc for an entire 24 hours. Every time you think about logging in, instead pray for someone, open your Bible.
- Sunday Worship – Participate in our weekly Sunday morning worship.
- Holy Week begins with Palm Sunday on April 9. We also gather on April 13 for Maundy Thursday worship and April 14 for Good Friday.
There is more information about all of this throughout the e-news and Grace This Week.
Photo credit: jezobeljones via Visualhunt / CC BY